It’s a well-known fact that unfortunately a lot of people out there have a fear of the dentist. This can be based upon childhood experiences, fear being passed on from another person or have no foundation whatsoever.
The impact this fear can have on people’s lives is huge and can result in people living with horrific tooth pain, trying “at-home dentistry” or ending up in a much worse state than if they’d simply been able to pop in and visit the dentist.
Our super friendly Black Swan team is here to tell you that there is no need to fear the dentist, especially us!
To prove it, we’ve come up with 10 reasons why you shouldn’t be afraid of the dentist…
- First and foremost is that you need to remember that the dentist is actually there to help you and won’t do anything you don’t need doing or are not comfortable with.
- You may think you don’t need to see the dentist but by putting off the situation you’re actually making it worse in the long run. It would be much better to visit more regularly and need less treatment and get used to visiting.
- Ironically enough, the more you visit the dentist, the less money it will cost. The dentist will be able to fix small problems before they become big, costly problems!
- If you have had a bad experience with a dentist it is totally understandable that you might be reluctant to go again. However, not all dentists are bad, the same way one bad apple doesn’t mean all the apples on the tree are bad too. Look at reviews, get recommendations and when visiting, explain your situation and how nervous you are.
- Of course the biggest advantage to visiting the dentist is that you’ll be able to smile care-free and not worry about what your smile looks like merely the ache of your cheeks from doing it so often.
- By visiting the dentist with your children, in spite of your fear, you are showing them that there is nothing to be afraid of and you lessen the risk of passing on your fear to them!
- By having regular check-ups you’ll be able to give your teeth and long and healthy life and hopefully they will hang around as long as you.
- When visiting a dentist, if you can get to the point where you’re happy to be going and find it a pleasure, it could actually provide a nice moment of peace and quiet to relax from everyday life.
- The pain of dentistry is a misconception. Yes procedures will need to be done and teeth will have to be fixed but this doesn’t mean it needs to hurt. A good dentist will make sure you are not in pain. In fact rather than causing pain they will actually help cure and prevent it!
- Finally you need to remember that dentists aren’t monsters despite some humorous cartoon depictions of them. They are friendly human beings like you and me who just wants what’s best for you and your oral health.
So you see, there is nothing to fear. If you’re worried about going to the dentist then get in touch with them ahead of time or simply book a free consultation to discuss your worries and help them to put you at ease.
You’ll see from our own reviews on our Facebook page that we treat a number of nervous patients and they are all very happy with their experience.
We’d be happy to chat with you, no matter what your situation or concerns are.
Please give our friendly reception staff a call on 01460 77517 or pop in and see us!